Saturday, February 19, 2011

What is with all the hype?

Four weeks ago the Dayton City Paper published a center fold article about my first year in office. You can read the article HERE. The paper is our local Alternative Weekly Newspaper and they want to become a little more controversial than they have been previously. This candid interview assisted with that.

On Wednesday a citizen exercised her right to speak for three minutes at our evening commission meeting. I won't bore you with the details but you can view the entire commission meeting or just move the cursor to the center and watch her make her statement and my reply.

It must have been a slow news day because this made headline news that evening and was the lead story on one TV news station

Dayton mayor called out for cursing: wdtn.com



Now you have to ask yourself what exactly would motivate someone to come downtown to sit through a commission meeting so they could spend three minutes complaining to the mayor about words printed in an article that is 4 weeks old. I won't elude to much but her mentioning the name of the former mayor to me after the meeting was somewhat telling.

I was able to give an explanation on my regular 3rd Friday of the month interview on Fox 45.

Dayton's News Source :: Top Stories - Fox 45 In The Morning: Dayton Mayor Gary Leitzell

There have been several threads regarding this incident on Facebook. None of which have been favorable to the citizen because everyone realized that I was simply describing what someone else had called me to the Dayton City Paper reporter. It was the papers choice to print the words in their entirety without blank spaces. Not mine. If you haven't read the article yet then you may very well be disappointed with "nasty" words in question here.

I made it very clear during my campaign that I wouldn't change my personality in order to become Mayor and I wasn't going to change after becoming Mayor. The Dayton City Paper article was written by someone who realized this and wanted everyone else to know it too.

The moral to this story is this;

There are choices and there are consequences to those choices. You can choose to stand in front of a bunch of city administrators and the entire city commission and spout off to me about what you think I should or should not be doing. This may get you some TV time and three minutes of fame that could very well backfire on you OR if you have an issue with me, you can call the office at 333-3653 and make a personal appointment to meet with me behind closed doors. Bring a witness if you feel the need to do so. You will have my undivided attention for 30 minutes or maybe longer. I may not tell you what you want to hear but I will tell you why I did or didn't do something. You may be very surprised with my answer and leave with a lot more information than you came with.

4 comments:

firefly said...

I decided to check out your blog and see that you don't get many responses nor comments!
My name is Gary, too, and I'm also 50 years old, and have lived in Dayton all my life, and like it here!
Are you married? I see you have a daughter--and I checked out your old crackhouse site, ha ha!
I think you are doing a fine job as our Mayor! I found your blog off Esrati's ... I watch the city commission meetings a lot ...
Sometimes I complain on blogs about the city and the staff, but it's a friendly town, yes, more of a town than a City IMO!
Glad you did not get into any city litigations from the City Paper article; I saw the lady's rant on TV!

G-RANT said...

you say in that article that, "we are looking at how we can make things more flexible as long as they make sense."

i would argue that many of the current regulations and systems that are in place should be required to meet the same standards.

as long as historical buildings are required to meet modern building codes that were not in place when those buildings were built, nothing will ever change, because full retrofits are prohibitively expensive.

G-RANT said...

another quote: "If you own the property, it’s up to code and you follow the guidelines, you don’t need permission."

if there was a way to relax the codes, it would go a long way towards revitalizing downtown, much of which is nowhere near code compliant.

installing extra electrical outlets and handicap accessible bathrooms in a 100 year old building may look good on paper, but the result is an empty downtown.

the greene only meets code because is was built recently.

G-RANT said...

here's an idea:

if a downtown commercial property sits empty for 3 years, raise the property tax on it, particularly if it does not meet code.