Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Campaign Spending - Keeping it Local

I have raised about $17,000 at this point and we are still raising money at this late date to run radio ads. Most of the money has been spent. What did I spend money on?

The first thing I had to do is produce a literature piece that we could use for the entire campaign. One that was "timeless" and of the utmost quality. I used local printers for these. I was able to get excellent rates with two companies. Total cost of 20,000 pieces was right around $1,200.

Next were the blue and white signs. Since I never had sufficient funds early on, I cut a deal with the Northridge Sign Shop. I would buy 1000 signs but I would have to have them produced 200 at a time. Since the signs were screen printed locally we could maintain a steady flow of signs throughout the campaign. I couldn't keep them in stock. Demand actually exceeded supply. That is why there are fewer Leitzell signs in right-of-ways. Most went to property owners. Each sign cost $3.50 which is more than the incumbent paid for her signs but, mine were better quality and it showed. They also have better longevity.

Facebook advertising has cost about $300 so far. I have been running a small ad since August. It has directed over 500 people to the website and had over 1 million impressions on 125,000 potential voters.

I used a small local minority business owner for fundraising activities and since the "William Pace Company" had an advertising agency, I also used it for all of my advertising. The agency was able to secure six billboard locations through "Lamar" at short notice and we rolled them out weekly as funds permitted. Mr. Pace was also able to book 4 advertisements in the Dayton Weekly News costing a total of $600 as well as 5,000 inserts in the same paper for another $500. These inserts were extended to the Dayton Daily News on Sunday. The 26,000 inserts cost around $1,200. Radio ads have been booked at several local radio stations and are running currently. The total cost layout for all radio and last minute advertising is currently $2,900.

The "Had Enough?" signs were a last minute stealth tactic to cause a reaction with the incumbents army of party supporters. They cost $4.00 each. I was able to scrounge up some metal bases that were donated to the cause. 200 of these were made and they caused a local phenomina when all the "McLin" signs got moved away from them or rearranged so that her signs were placed at the center of abutting "Nan" or "Joey" signs. We looked at this arrangement and flanked the lot of them!

I have "HAD ENOUGH" of party politics as usual. It is time for new LEADERSHIP in Dayton.

1 comment:

Agent0042 said...

I enjoyed the "Had Enough" signs. They mimicked the incumbent candidate's signs but reversed the colors. And, once again, they had a website address on them, not like the signs for the incumbent. I don't understand why all the campaign signs don't have website addresses on them, unless it's a cost per letter or something. Either way, seems like money well spent.