Monday, June 1, 2009

Questions, Questions, Questions

Now that I am running for Mayor I am being asked the same questions over and over again. Here are some questions and my answers for the record. I realize that I am not always going to give the answer you want to hear. I got this email this week (red) and answered it (black);

Hello,

I am contacting you in regards to your opinions, thoughts and possible agenda on some issues in Dayton.

1. What are your thoughts on the 2nd Amendment and Right to Carry?


I support the right to bare arms. People have the right to choose whether or not to own or carry a gun if they follow the legal process.

2. With the current economic "crisis" in Dayton, the lay-offs, pay freezes and budget cuts, what is being done right and/or wrong within the current admin. to solve the problems?

I asked Ms. McLin at a public meeting if she and the commissioners had discussed any ways to generate revenue that was not a tax or a fee on the water bill while they were cutting $13 million from the budget last fall. After having to clarify the question, her answer was "No." What is wrong with her answer?
I think accountability needs to be enacted at city hall. I think creativity needs to be encouraged as well. Dayton must be marketed to the world so that we can generate additional revenue streams that don't impact the already over-assessed, resident taxpayer.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Residency Rule for city employees?

I think we need to investigate the reason why the residency ruling was added to the city charter in the 1970s. Then we must determine if the same criteria applies today. Of course the Ohio Supreme Court may make the decision that determines the outcome. A well-planned and calculated merger with the county would negate the issue altogether.

Do you believe cutting Public Safety services to "save" money is a good practice while crime rates historically rise during economic down-falls? This includes the training that is necessary to do the job.

I do not think cutting public safety is wise at any time. I think we need to investigate and test ideas that would allow our public safety personnel to work at the most efficient level possible and adopt those ideas that work.

3. What role do you believe the government should play in the daily lives of citizens?

Local government is responsible for the health and safety of its residents and visitors. This includes police, fire, emergency services, waste collection, water supply/sanitation and maintaining and upholding building code safety standards.

4. Everyday on my way to work, there is a gentleman with a sign stating "I am hungry" on the side of the road. He does have a pan-handling license. He also has (everyday) a different fast food bag and drink next to him. Given that this makes the city look trashy, what would you do to curve, if anything, this problem that is spread throughout the city?

We need to inspire such people, whenever possible, to become productive members of the community. We could, at the very least, buy the man a suit and ask him to frequent a different location every day. :)

5. Do you feel you have the necessary experience to tackle the very real and large problems the city faces? What political
party (of the two) do you feel best represent your ideological views?


Mclin may be an experienced politician, but experience doesn't make you qualified for the job. The captain of the Titanic and the Exxon Valdez were both experienced captains. What they both lacked was good judgment under crisis.
I am an experienced problem solver. I don't mind asking people for their input or advice when difficult decisions have to be made. I am completely non-partisan when it comes to political views. I do what I feel is fair under the circumstances. I am a strategic thinker with many creative ideas. A political party has not been created for the likes of me.

Thank you for your time.

If you wish to join my campaign team, please email me at gary@daytonmayor.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

As you may be aware, The Ohio Supreme Court ruled today that a 2006 state law banning residency restrictions is constitutional.
(http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/ohiopolitics/entries/2009/06/10/court_upholds_ban_on_residency.html)

I would like to know if you would post a follow up on the answer you posted to the residency ruling question. Specifically, I would like to know if you agree with the Ohio Supreme Court ruling. Also, do you support "a well-planned and calculated merger with the county"?

Thanks for your time.

Gary said...

I support the law. I also choose to live in Dayton and don't plan to leave in the next 30 years. I also think that if there was ever a need for a movement towards a regional form of government it is certainly now. I have no problems initiating the dialogue. I also know that it will have to be the city and the county that have to make the first move. For 8 years I have said that the city and county have to collaborate more than they do. I have noticed that they collaborate more now than 8 years ago but it is still not enough. When I decided to run for mayor I had no aspirations to create a long term political career for myself. Therefore I have no problems initiating something that I will not get credit for as long as it is the right thing to do. Dayton will only move forward when people no longer care about who gets credit for things. I focus on results, I don't worry about who takes the credit.