Thursday, March 5, 2009

More About The Petition Process

I turned my petitions in this afternoon to the board of elections. I ended up with 753 signatures. I need 500 registered voters residing in Dayton in order to be on the ballot. I personally collected 680 signatures. Over 500 were acquired by going door to door. This is time consuming but ensures quality. It turns out that the City of Dayton and the City of Oakwood require the use of their own special petition forms. All other municipalities use a standard form. The forms have to be filled in with specific wording but the Board of elections is not permitted to tell you the exact wording. It is up to the city of Dayton's legal department to determine what that is should it be questioned. For anyone interested in local government, this is a red flag that confirms the perception that our city administration is trapped in a 50 year paradigm. The election process for the city of Dayton is not designed to be easy. The fact that you need 500 signatures in itself acts as a screening process. I am not opposed to having to acquire a large number of signatures. I knew what I was up against there. I shouldn't need a law degree or a friend in the city commission in order to fill out the basic part of the form though. It appears that I did everything properly. I will know in a few days. There is a filing fee of $45.00. I don't know if they tell potential candidates this. I assumed there would be some fee. There are some other filing fees that need to be paid regarding campaign financing. It looks like I am going to have to solicit some funding very soon because I need name recognition. I have some but it is minor. I am trying to be creative and don't want to be wasteful. If anyone has any ideas that don't involve me getting arrested or "not having sex with that woman" I am all ears!

3 comments:

Chad said...

I think the first thing you need to do is get a decent press photo of yourself and get it distributed. Your page needs and "about me" page that offers a bio and a few large resolution images of you. NBC2 just used your blogger profile pic on tv, while it's a fine picture... the 143 pixels stretched out didn't do you any favors.

Roger said...

Wait! You're a Republican? Too bad, I might have been willing to support you... But never anyone would willingly associate with those creeps.

David Esrati said...

However, you can ask to see old petitions that were accepted. Tiurns out that the incumbents didn't use the same language, yet were ok'd. No other petition requires notary publics either.